Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Fruit Crisp

Works well with peaches, strawberries, blueberries, apples, pears... whatever's in season.
This is a "do what looks right" recipe, so the measurements are just guidelines.

Preparation Time: 20: less if you are a fast chopper. 30 minutes cooking time.

Ingredients:
-"a bunch" of fruit: enough to cover bottom of pan. 6 peaches worked well tonight.
-1 stick butter, softened
-1/2 cup sugar (little less if the fruit is good and sweet. little more if you're using something tart like granny smiths)
-1 cup flour
-1/2 cup oats (optional, but good for rounding out texture)
-"enough" cinnamon
-pinch of salt

Directions:
  1. preheat oven to 375. place rack in middle
  2. chop up the fruit into big chunks (it will cook down and you want some texture in the end). You can peel the fruit if you like, or keep the peel on for more texture. Put fruit in an 8x8 baking dish or round bowl
  3. put butter, flour, sugar, optional oats, salt, cinnamon in a bowl and mash it all up with a fork. (If you use an electric beater it will be too uniform). You want crumbles, so add more flour if it gets too pasty
  4. sprinkle topping over fruit
  5. bake in oven about 30 minutes (until top is golden and fruit is bubbly)

Source: My mom
Servings: 6-8 (?)

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm.... I just finished off the last of a mango-apple crisp I made last week. A good tip I got from a blog I follow is that you can make big batches of crisp up ahead of time and freeze them in mason jars (or whatever). Then when you find yourself with extra fruit you just chop it and top it with the pre-made crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that would never work for me. i'd eat the pre-made crisp long before a new batch of fruit rolled in. It would be like cookie dough: I'd put it on my cheerios, i'd spread it on toast, I'd eat it with my bare hands, I'd fight Audrey for the last piece...

    ReplyDelete

/*Adwords ----------------------------------------------- */ /*--------------------------------------------- */